Get Trimmer (2012): Week One
Adura, a Personal Trainer, Fitness Instructor and Nutritionist is starting a fitness program and we at LagosMums would like to join the challenge.
The first step is to record your measurements and note them somewhere safe, then have a plan of action and goals. Share your goals on the site, with your workout partner, friends, forum so that you are accountable!
An example of Adura’s goals/plan of action are :
- I’m cutting out chocolate for the entire month of May. Although I only eat 70% (or more) chocolate, I usually finish a big bar over 2 days(weekend, when I do have it).
- I’ll have 2 strength based sessions per week:
- Fitter London’s Kettlebells for Strength and Bodyweight Conditioning on Tuesdays @ 7am
- Fitter London’s Kettlebells for Strength, Size and a Sixpack on Saturdays @ 11.30am.
(All Fitter London classes can be found here: www.fitterlondon.co.uk/classes/)
You should know how passionate I am about strength training so please read this post: I Love Strength Training.
- I teach 3 spin classes a week so those will be my cardio/endurance workouts.
- I’m cutting out plantain chips for the entire month of May. Trust me, they’re a real weakness of mine. Especially when I’m in a hurry, I just grab a pack and inhale it in 2 minutes flat!
- As always, I’m going to eat a lot of protein (More of fish, seafood. And chicken, eggs too) and vegetables. I’m also limiting my carbohydrates to sweet potatoes, beans and plantain. I’m not a fan of brown rice, I’d have added that to the list.
- No ice-cream, absolutely NO ice-cream. This is a major weakness of mine.
To help you with the fitness plan, the first step is to Set your goals for May (tomorrow is May 1st so get going)
Check back here or at Adura’s blog for updates on exercise, workouts and diet tips.
- Exercise: I’ll post some workouts for home and gym workouts, diet. Aim for at least 2 days per week.
- Diet: My advice would be to cut out all pastries, cakes, pizzas, deep fried foods, high-sugar foods, etc. Also reduce your carbohydrate portions and replace with vegetables (they are carbs too) and protein. It’s only one month in your long life and will fly by.
- Frequency of meals: Eat at least three times a day and make sure you never get to a point where you’re ravenous. If you don’t like breakfast, no need to force yourself to eat an actual meal. Try something as little as a handful of nuts and a piece of fruit.
- Snacking: Do this only when you feel peckish, sometimes I snack for the sake of it and it’s unnecessary. Snack on fruit (1 portion eg 1 apple, a handful of berries, 1 slice of pineapple, etc).
My Goals (YWee) are
1) Cutting out all cake for the month of May….
2) Going to work out at least 3 days a week of at least 1 hour – Will visit the gym use the treadmill and do strength exercise
3) Daily skipping for at least 10 minutes every morning (this is a big deal for me as I do Z-E-R-O exercising)
4) Carbohydrate once a day and no eating past 7 pm. Increase fruit, vegetables and protein intake!
5) Lose 14lbs!