Children’s International School was Inspected, Approved and Rated as ‘Good with outstanding features’ by the UK Government.
The UK Government’s Department for Education (DfE) operates an inspection scheme which is designed to measure British Schools Overseas (BSO) against the standards that apply to independent schools in England. This inspection scheme is designed to inform and reassure parents about the quality of education offered by the school.
Children’s International School (CIS) located in Lagos, Nigeria was inspected in October 2015. The school was delighted to receive a BSO Inspection Report which recognised CIS as a good school with outstanding features. As a result of this inspection, the school has demonstrated it meets the Standards for British Schools Overseas. This judgement is endorsed by the British Government, quality assured by the Office for Standards in Education (OfSTED) and is valid for a period of three years.
At the same time, CIS went through an accreditation process with CfBT Educational Trust (one of the approved independent inspectorates approved by the UK Government). The inspectors examined three years of evidence about the school and then saw CIS in action over a four day period including meetings with parents, students and staff, lesson observations and scrutiny of student’s work and school documents. CIS is pleased to announce that the school has been awarded the International Schools Quality Mark (ISQM) at Silver level, meaning Good judgements or higher in all of the following sections:
- Standards and achievement
- Teaching and learning
- Leadership and management.
The reports state:
- Children’s International School, Lagos, is a good school.
- The quality of the curriculum provided by the school is good.
- The standards of teaching and assessment are good. Student/teacher relationships and communication between school and parents are particular strengths. The atmosphere of mutual trust and respect created through regular communication leads to a shared commitment to improving students’ learning.
- Students’ personal development is exceptionally good.
- Pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development is outstanding. The school is highly inclusive. There is a strong sense of multiculturalism and students have significant awareness of social issues due to their outstanding social, moral, spiritual and cultural education.
- The behaviour of pupils is outstanding and throughout the school is exemplary. Students have a very positive attitude to learning.
- The welfare, health and safety of the pupils are good. Child safeguarding procedures are particularly robust.
- The premises and accommodation are of a good quality and the high quality new buildings have been very effective in bringing together the whole school community. Highly efficient and robust systems ensure the security of students and their families as well as staff.
- The leadership and management of the school are good. As a result of this good leadership and management of CIS, pupils are helped to mature into caring and reflective young people with excellent behaviour and attitudes to learning.
For more information visit the school’s website