When you are having a new baby, there are so many things you need. In reality, there are some must haves and some nice to haves. Here is the ultimate expectant mum and new mum baby shopping list for all the things you need for the arrival of baby.
This list helps you plan what you need for a new baby and for yourself as a new mum. Shopping for your baby is fun, there are some items that are necessary and some items that are simply nice to have. Remember babies grow quickly so don’t be tempted to over buy!
Clothing for Baby
A newborn spends most of their days sleeping and eating. Comfort is high on the list when you think about what to buy for baby. Babies also grow fast, so be sure not to buy too much for any age. We recommend 100% cotton where possible to reduce any reaction to blends.
- 6 – 8 Long sleeved onesies /sleepsuits – do not buy too many of one size as babies grow very quickly!
- 6 – 8 Short sleeve bodysuits
- 1 – 2 sweaters
- 3 – 6 pairs of socks
- Several burp cloths
Click here to download the app from Mall for Africa to purchase items from baby stores like carters, Marks & Spencer and more. We like to say #skipthetrip and get these items directly at your doorstep in Nigeria, or you can pick it up.
Baby’s skin is delicate and should not have any harsh products used. Choose shampoo, soap, and lotions carefully. For grooming, nails need to be filed down to ensure their little sharp nails do not scratch their cute cheeks.
- Soft hair brush and comb
- Nail cutter/baby scissors/soft nail enamel file
- Baby changing mat
- Cotton wool
- Baby moisturiser
- Baby wipes
- Nappies (they grow out of the newborn sizes quickly so don’t stock too many)
- Diaper cream
- Baby bath soap/shampoo
- Baby bath
- Feeding bottles (different sizes are recommended) and extra teats
- Lots of bibs (the wipe able ones are better)
- Cleaner for bottle
Whether baby is being breastfed or given formula, there are feeding utensils that baby needs in the first few days and months.
- Fitted sheets (pillows are dangerous for babies)
- Changing table
- Mosquito net
- Crib mobile
- Pram/push chair
Where baby spends their hours sleeping and resting is just as important. Download the App and get access to stores like Toys R Us and more to get these items.
- Breast pump and storage bags (ice packs to store milk)
- Nursing bra
- Nursing pads
- Nipple cream (for breastfeeding)
- Loose shirts/button down for easy feeding
- Car seat
- Bassinet/moses basket
- Teething rings
- Baby Bag and portable changing mat
- Food/Bottle warmer
- Baby journal – great to capture the early years
- Baby monitor
- Baby carrier/sling
- Nursing cover
- Rocking chair
- Boppy pillow to support during breastfeeding
- Non-bio washing soap for laundry
A simple expectant and new mum baby checklist
- Clothing – onsies, undershirts, pyjamas, socks, booties, hats, mittens
- Blankets – receiving, swaddling
- Feeding – Feeding bottles, bibs
- Diapering – changing bag, changing mat, diaper cream, wipes, diapers
- Bath time – towels, soap, shampoo, sponge, baby bath
- Bedtime – crib, mattress, mattress cover, bedsheet
- Other – changing table, rocker, playpen, moses basket
- Transport – car seat, baby carrier
- Grooming – baby nail clippers, nail file, thermometer, baby comb, soft hairbrush,
- For Mum – nursing bra, nursing pads, nipple cream
Are there other things you think are needed? If you need help shopping for your baby contact us @LagosMums
Do not forget to stop by at mallforafrica and download the App to get access to over 180 stores from the US and the UK.