Parents Warned After Headband Suffocates Baby

According to Mirror.co.uk, the tragic loss of a baby who suffocated has led to safety warning for all parents. A 14-week-old girl reportedly died after the bow slipped down to cover her nose and mouth while she lay in her cot.

Parents are being warned about the dangers of the big bow headband craze with claims a baby suffocated while wearing one.

baby with head bow

Cute but Dangerous

It is important for all new mums to be aware, while these big bow headbands are cute when put on baby; it can be a safety hazard. The lesson here: Headbands are another accessory unsafe for the crib. Bedding or stuffed animals should be removed before baby goes to sleep because of suffocation hazards.

The friend posted this on facebook – “My friend has sadly just lost her 14 week old daughter whilst she thought she was sleeping in her carry cot. When she came to check on her she had the bow headband down over her wee nose and mouth and wasn’t moving.. she had passed away”.

facebook headband post

Post mortem has revealed death due to suffocation asphyxiation.

The post was later deleted while the police said they were unable to confirm details of the incident.

Another mum posted this about her scare from headbands;  “My baby was wearing this headband on a 45 min car ride. When we got there and I went to take her out it had slid down so it was over her entire face, including her mouth and nose. Poor little girls arms were flailing around. It scared the crap out of me! I think I’m going to start taking her headbands off while she’s in her car seat. So be careful with those chunky headbands ladies!”

Warning

Public Health Adviser Sheila Merrill, said that while items such as bands and clips may be fashionable and cute for little girls there is definitely a serious danger associated with them.

“Children can easily swallow, or choke on items left in their reach as they naturally grasp anything and put it in their mouths. Once in their mouth they find it difficult to remove the item. Parents can prevent the risk of choking and suffocation by ensuring that small objects or items are kept out of reach of children under the age of three,” she said.

Please be careful mums, share this with other parents.

What is it about LagosMums? Being a Mum means that you are many things at the same time…

FOLLOW US ON