I love plantain and always on the lookout for ways to spice it up and make it more fun, I have tried it boiled, grilled, fried and mashed. Recently I stumbled on something called “GizDodo” and found an easy to follow recipe. What I also love is that this variation is a healthier option so enjoy this recipe on how to make gizdodo culled from 9jafoodie.
- 1.5 large ripe plantains
- Gizzard – about 15 pieces – Cleaned (could be chicken or beef)
- 1 cup prepared pepper mix (blender pulsed (Bell pepper (tatashe) both red and green, tomatoes, onions and scotch bonnet peppers (rodo)).
- 2 maggi cubes
- Salt – To taste
- ½ teaspoon each- Thyme & curry
- 5 Table spoons Oil
- 1 tablespoon ground crayfish
- Place a pot on medium heat; add in the gizzard, 1 cube maggi, thyme, ½ cup water and some salt. Cook until the gizzard is soft. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Cut the plantains into cubed chunks
- Heat your oven to 350°F. Line a tray with aluminum foil or parchment paper
- Toss the gizzard and plantains with two table spoons of cooking oil. Pour the mix on the lined oven tray. Cook for 30 minutes flipping at the halfway point (or use the broil setting of your oven to bake the top)
- Heat up the left over oil in a pan; add in the prepared pepper mix. Leave to cook for 5 minutes. Add in some salt, maggi, crayfish and the curry. Combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning
- Add in the prepared gizzard and plantain. Combine. Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
Your gizdodo is ready to serve, serve in lettuce as a wrap. Enjoy