Our recipe of the week is Jollof Rice with Blended Vegetables a.k.a Jollof Rice for fussy eaters. It is the perfect way to incorporate vegetables into meals for kids who do not like them. This way, they do not miss out on all the nutrients that can only be gotten from vegetables.
If you are struggling to get your child to eat vegetables, this recipe is for you. Adding pureed vegetables to a tomato based sauce for Jollof rice or other meals does not change the taste of the food at all. Enjoy!
- 2/3 cup oil
- 4 cups of rice
- 2 Onions
- Fresh Tomato and Tatase
- 3 tablespoons Tomato paste (optional)
- Teaspoon each of curry, thyme (optional)
- Bay leaves (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Seasoning cube to taste
1. Rinse the fresh Tomato, Tatase and Onion thoroughly then grind.
2. Blend carrot, cabbage and spinach together till it is smooth and set aside.
3. Place a pot on medium heat, heat up oil
4. Add in grinded onion, tomato and tatase and fry. (If you are using tomato paste, curry, thyme and bay leaves, you can add it now). Fry on low heat for about a minute or two or until the raw taste is gone
5. Add in seasoning cube and salt. Stir, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
6. Pour 2 cups of water and stir in drained washed rice. Don’t add too much water to avoid the rice being soggy
7. When the water is almost dry, add blended veggies and turn for a few minutes.
8. Then steam for 5-10 minutes. (Don’t add in more water, the steam will cook the rice)
Picture credit: Myactivekitchen