Surrogacy is an arrangement, often supported by a legal agreement, whereby a woman (surrogate mother) agrees to bear a child for another person or persons, who will become the child’s parent after birth. – Wikipedia
Surrogacy basically is of two types: traditional surrogacy and gestational surrogacy. In traditional surrogacy, the surrogate mother is also the genetic mother of the child. In gestational surrogacy, however, she is simply a host who shares no genetic connection with the child.
Basic Gestational Surrogacy Facts:
1. Gestational surrogacy treatment is at least 15 years old in Nigeria.
2. The end to end management, from search & selection of a surrogate to delivery of the baby is possible in Nigeria.
3. Treatment is through IVF and Nigeria has world class specialists & hospitals for this.
4. Gestational Surrogates do not contribute DNA material to the unborn child. The baby only requires shelter, feeding, warmth and protection from her.
5. There are legal contracts and documents that can be drawn to ensure all parties are protected.
6. Surrogate delivered babies are normal, healthy and bond easily with their biological mothers.
7. Mothers of surrogate delivered babies are able to breastfeed their babies.
Who needs a surrogate mother?
1. An intending mother who has under developed uterus, or does not have one.
2. An intending mother who has suffered uterine damage due to scarring/adhesions/severe Asherman’s syndrome or endometrosis.
3. An intending mother who has been advised not to carry a pregnancy due to a serious health condition like high blood pressure, renal failure / transplantation, auto immune diseases, or who is about to undergo medical treatment that compromises her genetic make-up e.g. cancer treatment.
4. An intending mother who has had repeated, un resolved miscarriages
5. An intending mother whose uterus has failed to respond to several hormonal stimulations.
When faced with surrogacy as your option, do not despair. I have been in your shoes. Yes, I went through surrogacy, and became successful at my 3rd attempt. My surrogate mother is an Indian but because my eggs were used, my twins look exactly like myself and my husband.
There are eight distinct things you need to watch out for so you don’t fall victim of a botched arrangement, or a baby factory scam.
Click on the link below to read more
Email: [email protected]
© 2020 Toyin ‘Lolu-Ogunmade, Precious Conceptions.