Our recipe this week is a recipe taken from DooneysKitchen, Dunni is a food enthusiast with the most amazing recipes, see the recipe for Yam and Egg Pancakes below.
In this recipe she is redefining the use of yam and eggs in preparing pancakes. Talk about being proudly Nigerian! The Yam and Egg Pancakes recipe can be used as a menu item for different kinds of occasions.
It is easy to prepare, just follow the simple steps and you are on your way to enjoying the tantalizing dish of Yam and Egg Pancakes.
- Chopped mixed vegetables- onions, chilies, spring onions, bell peppers etc
- 2 eggs or more depending on how much yam you have
- Seasonal cubes -Optional
- Vegetable oil
- If you have leftover pounded yam that would be excellent as you have skipped stage one. If you don’t just boil your yam as normal and use a potato masher or food processor to turn it into mash
- Add the chopped vegetables
- Add the eggs depending on how much yam you have, minimum of two eggs to start with.
- The key is the batter must be thick, if it is too watery the pancake will break apart if you try and flip it and it may spill into a mess. Depending on how much pepper you add, your batter may be pink or pale
- Once it is thick and gloopy season with salt and/or seasoning cubes
- Heat a non stick pan or in this case a cast iron pan with a little oil as you would a regular pancake. Scoop on the batter and use the back of the spoon to spread it out in a wider circle. Because this recipe has no flour in it, you will be best making mini thick pancakes, otherwise the pancakes will split when you try to flip it over. So not too thick
- Cook on medium heat to allow the pancakes to cook properly on one side without burning, then flip it over to cook the other side without breaking the pancake. Use a wide enough frying spoon to help it stay intact.
- When both sides have browned, take it out of the pan and repeat the process
This is a very soft yummy pancake! Enjoy
Check out other Recipes.