Our recipe this week is Spice Crusted Tuna Steaks with Chickpeas, Apple and Zucchini Salad. This looks incredibly yummy! Even though zucchini is a fruit, it is usually cooked as a vegetable because it is best when eaten in cooked dishes. Some health benefits include: weight loss, promotes eye health, and prevents all the diseases that occur from vitamin C deficiency like scurvy, sclerosis, and easy bruising. It helps to cure asthma and has a high content of vitamin C, carbohydrates, protein and fiber. Zucchini contains significant quantities of potassium, folate, and vitamin A, all of which are important for general good health.
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) sesame seeds
- 4 tuna steaks, each about 6 oz (170 g), slightly warmed to room temperature
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 apple, Cortland or Granny Smith, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) honey
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 can 19 oz (540 mL) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Green zucchini, diced
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken broth
- Salt And pepper
- In a coffee grinder or mortar, coarsely grind the flaxseeds, fennel, mustard seeds, and peppercorns. Pour into a dish and add the sesame seeds. Stir to combine. Press the tuna steaks into the spice mixture to coat. Season with salt.
- In a large non-stick skillet, brown the tuna steaks in the oil for 2 to 3 minutes per side or to the desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper. Slice thinly and drizzle with olive oil, if desired. Serve with the Chickpea, Apple, and Zucchini Salad.
- In a saucepan, sauté the onion and apple in the honey and oil for about 5 minutes or until lightly caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chickpeas and broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the broth has almost completely evaporated. Add the zucchini and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Adjust the seasoning. Serve warm.
Serves four persons.
Source: La Pointe 175b Kofo Abayomi, Victoria Island, Lagos