When you have a baby there are some obvious things that you know are unsafe. However, there are some common household products that aren’t safe for babies. You don’t want to drive yourself crazy, but when it comes to your child’s safety, you really can’t be too careful. You’ve probably already got your harsher cleaning products like bleach locked up. But you may want to double-check your home for these less obvious products, some of them can be brought in by visitors.
1. Detergent Pods
Whether they’re for your washing machine or your dishwasher, chances are your detergent pods are colorful and bite-sized— pretty tempting to little mouths. The Wall Street Journal reported that thousands of babies and kids have been sickened by the pods, and some have even died.
2. Button Batteries
Tiny button batteries, like the kind often found in watches or in small electronic toys, can do serious damage if swallowed. The Poison Control center noted that button batteries can become stuck in a baby’s esophagus and the chemicals inside them can also cause tissue damage.
Adults take vitamins to stay healthy, but the National Capital Poison Center noted that vitamins can be dangerous for babies. That’s especially true of iron supplements, which can be deadly if kids get their hands on them.
4. Beauty Products
Pretty much every product in your beauty arsenal should be kept out of baby’s reach. Consumer Reports noted that hundreds of kids are hospitalized every day after ingesting nail, hair, and skin products.
5. Silica Beads
You’ve seen these little packets in the box when you buy new shoes, or maybe when you pick up a new purse. “Do Not Eat” is right there on the label, but not because it’s poisonous, according to Slate. They’re more likely to be a choking hazard to babies.
The American Academy of Pediatrics has warned parents to keep magnets out of babies’ hands. Swallowing one can lead to perforated bowels and other major intestinal issues.
7. Diaper Products
If your baby is too young to crawl, you might think you’ve got a little time before you have to worry about any of this. But Poison Control noted that even the smallest babies can grab a tube of diaper cream set down near them during a change, which can be dangerous to ingest.
8. Pet Products
Does your baby have a furry sibling? Don’t forget that any pet flea and tick shampoos you might have are pesticides, which can be very dangerous if swallowed, as noted by the March of Dimes.
If you have plants in your home or in your compound, make sure you know whether they are poisonous. Kids Health noted that plants like lily of the valley, holly, and mistletoe are toxic if ingested.
If you’re using mothballs in your closet or basement to keep clothes from getting moldy, make sure to keep baby away. The State of Connecticut warned that if a baby swallows a mothball, they could become extremely sick.
Most medications these days will come in containers that are supposed to be child-proof, which may make you a little less worried about them. But Safe Kids reminded parents that a determined little one might still be able to crack one open, so don’t slack on storing them safely out of reach.
Stay Safe and Keep Products away from babies.