Our recipe of the week is Buttermilk Pancakes. During this lockdown, why not have a little fun (or a lot) with the kids by making this! It’s a hands on recipe that is perfect for little fingers! Learning how to bake or cook teaches a lot of fun things like; math; learning measurements, feel, texture, size etc, the benefits are endless. Have fun and enjoy!
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- A dash of cinnamon or vanilla
- 2 large eggs or three small eggs
- 2 cups of milk plus 1 tablespoon of vinegar
To make buttermilk pancakes,
1. First, mix dry ingredients together.
2. Beat the eggs then add to the flour.
3. Add milk to the mix.
4. Stir with a whisk or fork, it will be a bit lumpy, you need the lumps to give the pancake some oomph!
5. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a small non-stick frying pan. When hot, add two tablespoons of batter and let spread round.
6. Let the pancake develop little holes all over that shows it’s getting done, maybe for 2 minutes.
7. Flip over to the other side and repeat.
8. By now you should have a thick waffly pancake.
Contributed by @Rosalitasfood