Our recipe this week is how to make crispy plantain chips. It is easy to prepare at home and you never can tell, you can start your own ‘small’ plantain chips depot.
- 6-8 large Unripe Plantain
- Vegetable Oil (These are healthier options: Soya oil).
- Dry Pepper (If you want it spicy)
- Peel off the skin of the unripe plantain. Using a very sharp knife or a potato peeler, cut the plantain longitudinally into long thin stripes.
- Season the thinly cut plantain with salt to taste and dry pepper (optional).
- Heat up the oil until very hot (you must be very careful so it does not get extremely hot so it does burn the plantain).
- Pour in the plantain into the hot oil (few pieces at a time to avoid the chips from getting soggy) and fry until it turns golden brown.
- Remove the plantain from the oil and place on a paper towel to sieve out the oil.
If the plantain chips are not as tasty or spicy as you want it, you can add a little salt and more dry pepper to while it’s still hot.
Once it’s cooled, it’s ready to munch on. You can store in a tight container for future use.
Photo Source: www.how2heroes.com