Our recipe of the week is Coconut Fried Bulgur Wheat. Bulgur is usually referred to as a “miracle grain” used to replace supposedly unhealthy grains like rice and pasta made with white flour. It is a lower calorie alternative to rice. it can also be enjoyed as a breakfast cereal.
This fried “rice” like recipe is an all time favorite as eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring. It is simple and tastes very much like fried rice but with lower calories.
- 2 cups bulgur wheat
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups shrimps
- 4 chicken drumsticks (bones removed and cut)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cubes maggi
- 1 teaspoon each curry and thyme powder (divided)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (Carrot, peas, cabbage, sweetcorn)
- 1 green pepper (Tatashe) – Chopped
1. Season chicken with some salt, maggi and pepper. Set aside
2. Place a large pot (with a good fitting lid) on medium heat; add 1 part each of oil, curry, thyme, 1 cube maggi, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir. Add in coconut milk & 1 cup water. Cover the pot, increase heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add in the bulgur and stir. Cover the pot tightly and leave the rice to cook for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. Place another large pot on medium heat, add in the left over oil and heat slightly. Add in chicken and cook on all sides (about 5 minutes). Add all left over ingredients and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add in the precooked bulgur wheat, stir to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning as needed.
6. Serve with vegetables and plantain