It is time for back to school and school resumption shopping as the vacation is rapidly coming to an end. LagosMums has compiled a shopping list to serve as a guide as you prepare the children to go back to school. The list is broken down across what is absolutely needed and the other little things that pop up and sometimes leaves you scrambling (e.g. character costumes).
Before you start shopping, it is useful to carry out an audit and determine what your children need first. Secondly ask the school for a list of what would be required in the new term, this way you can plan ahead.
- School bag
- USB (for older children)
- Textbooks, Dictionary, Notebooks
- Glue stick
- Plastic folders or binder
- Scissors (make it blunt tipped for younger children)
- Pencil case
- for younger children, jumbo sized/triangular shaped are recommended as they learn to hold and write.
- Colored pencils
- Crayons – for younger children jumbo sized/triangular shaped are recommended as they learn to hold and write.
- Pencil sharpener (and jumbo sized pencil sharpener if you get these)
- Pens (for older children)
- Math set
- School Uniform or clothes
- Sun hats
- School shoes
- PE outfit and tennis shoes
- Swimsuits /swimming trunks
- Swim goggles
- flip flops
- swim towel
- swimming cap
- swimming bag
- small size lotion for after swimming (or a tub of Mentholatum for children who get cold quickly)
- Lunch bag
- Lunch box – get a thermos style one for hot foods
- Flask/Water bottle
- Bibs (for younger children)
- Special medication if needed for School Nurse
- Sanitizers and wipes
- Tissue paper
- Personalised labels for clothes and other items
- many items get lost during the school year labeling items helps to trace them.
- Painting Apron
- Costumes (plan now because you know the costume day or career day will come up)
- Specialist items
- confirm what extracurricular activities students will be participating in e.g. ballet outfit, karate, football and sports kits etc
- Tights – black, white and pink (there is usually a need for this at least once in the school year)
- Plain white and black tee shirts (always needed)
- Red attire for Valentines (or Love Day) in School
- Empty cartons, shoe boxes, and cereal boxes – they usually ask for these for artwork so keep your empty boxes.
Read Also [ Five Back to School Essentials for Kids ]