Our recipe of the week is Eggplant Sauce. Locally you can also find it referred to as Garden egg which is a type of eggplant. This sauce is quite easy to make and goes well with yam, rice or grilled, boiled or fried plantain. Children particularly enjoy this sauce if you pair it with their favourite accompaniment like fried yam or dodo.
When choosing the type of eggplant, the garden egg you use should be the white or off-white garden eggs so that you can avoid the bitter taste; because the green ones tend to be more bitter.
Ingredients for the Eggplant Sauce
- Fresh pepper
- 1 bulb of Onion
- 2-3 Tomatoes
- Cooking oil or Palm oil (2 – 3 tablespoons)
- Seasoning (Maggi)
1. Cut up the Eggplant and boil till it is soft. Then you can mash it or blend it and set it aside
2. Blend your tomatoes & pepper
3. Pour your cooking oil into a pot or pan
4. Add chopped onion
5. Stir till it is golden brown
6. Add your blended pepper and tomatoes, crayfish, your pre-boiled chicken and cook
7. Add your eggplant and add your Maggi seasoning
8. Leave to simmer for about 5 minutes
9. You can serve your eggplant sauce with rice, yam or plantain
Nutritional Benefits of Eggplant
There are several nutritional benefits of eggplant. Eggplant is full of fibre, vitamins, minerals and is a good source of antioxidants. Eggplant contains properties that help children build up their immunity as well as aiding good vision.
Try out the eggplant sauce and add it to your family meal time table.