There has been an outbreak of Meningitis in recent days, which has claimed about 300 lives in a short time period. The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) recently reported the outbreak of Meningitis in five states in Nigeria (mainly in the Northwest and North central zones) These five States are Zamfara, Katsina, Kebbi, Niger and Sokoto .
We have been advised that there are vaccines available and the epidemic is being managed by the government and international organizations. However, there is a need for us to take necessary precaution to prevent the spread of the disease in our immediate (personal & professional) environment.
So as parents and care givers, below are the need to know about the deadly outbreak.
What is meningitis?
The brain and spinal cord are protected by tissues called the meninges. Meningitis, an inflammation of the meninges, is caused by bacteria or viral infection. Bacterial meningitis is more serious due to its sudden onset and its high risk of death.
How Is It Spread?
How do You Spot The Symptoms In Your Child or Someone else?
What Steps Can I Take To Avoid Meningitis?
- Do not Share you or your kids personal items
- Keep distance from infected people
- Sleep in well ventilated places
- When coughing or sneezing, encourage your kids to cover their nose and mouth
- Wash their hands vigorously. The bacteria responsible for meningitis can get on the hands and into the mouth
- Boost immune system, and take care of your family overall health
- Be vigilante, get immediate treatment when you notice symptoms in your kids or someone else