This list of 10 books for thinking parents has some classic books that range across various topics. They focus largely on raising children based on updated research into the mind of how children develop.
Books for Thinking Parents
1. Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life Skills Every Child Needs by Ellen Galinsky. The seven essential skills, according to Galinsky, are 1. Focus and Self Control, 2. Perspective Taking, 3. Communicating, 4. Making Connections, 5. Critical Thinking, 6. Taking On Challenges, 7. Self-Directed, Engaged Learning. Buy here
2. NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman. The authors take the latest science and apply it to parenting in areas like motivation, praise, sibling relationships, sleep, and more. Buy here
3. Smart Parenting for Smart Kids: Nurturing Your Child’s True Potential by Eileen Kennedy Moore, PhD Mark S Lowenthal, PsyD. Buy here
4.Playful Learning: Develop Your Child’s Sense of Joy and Wonder by Mariah Bruehl. Bruehl is a former teacher who makes play and learning accessible to parents at home with kids. Buy here
5. Einstein Never Used Flashcards: How Our Children Really Learn – and Why They Need to Play More and Memorize Less by Kathy Hirsh-Pasek, Ph.D. & Roberta Michnick Golinkoff, Ph.D. Buy here
6. Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five by John Medina. The science of a child’s growing brain is explained in layman’s terms by the hilarious Medina. Check out his online videos, too – they’re great. Buy here
7. No Regrets Parenting: Turning Long Days and Short Years into Cherished Moments with Your Kids by Harley Robart, M.D. A quick read with gifts of wisdom for busy parents about being present in the life of our children. Buy here
8. Different Learners: Identifying, Preventing, and Treating Your Child’s Learning Problems by Jane M. Healy, Ph.D.. An eye-opening book that synthesizes the latest brain research and helps us understand what learning issues are genetically based and which are triggered, or both. Buy here
9. Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids by Kim John Payne and Lisa M. Ross. Buy here
10. The Rules of Parenting by Richard Templar.A Personal Code of Bringing up Happy, Confident Children Buy here
Read more on How to Raise Children who can set SMART Goals.