Our recipe for this week is one that is perfect for consumption during pregnancy -a beans based meal. Beans is a type of legume which contains some of the essential nutrients needed during pregnancy. Legumes generally contain nutrients such as Folate (Vitamin B9) Fibre, Iron, calcium etc. Maintaining a healthy diet during pregnancy is very important as not getting the required nutrients will affect your baby’s development.
Your overall health during pregnancy will determine the health status of your baby. Therefore, maintaining good and healthy feeding habits during pregnancy is very essential to both mother and child.
Beans and sweet potato porridge with stir-fried vegetables is a meal that is packed full with nutrients needed during pregnancy. This recipe is delicious and easy to make.
Beans and Potato Porridge
For this Bean and Sweet potato Porridge recipe, you will need the following;
- 2 cups of brown beans
- 2 cups medium size sweet potato
- 1/4 cup onion (Chopped)
- 2 Bell peppers (diced)
- 1/4 cup palm oil
- 2 cubes seasoning
- 1 cup shredded Smoked fish
- 1 tbs blended crayfish
- Salt (to taste)
- Put beans on fire and allow to cook till almost soft.
- Add diced potatoes and cook till soft then set aside.
- Add the palm oil to a large pot and set on medium heat.
- Cover and bleach for 2-3 minutes
- Add in the chopped onion and saute for 2 minutes then add in the blended pepper. Cover and leave to cook for 5 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Add in the salt, seasoning, smoked fish and crayfish.
- Pour in the cooked beans and sweet potato and stir properly. Cover and leave to cook on medium heat for 7-10 minutes.
- Stir, taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Cover and cook for another 3 minutes and turn off heat.
You can add in some green peas and carrots for extra nutrient and flavour.
For the stir-fried vegetables, you can make use of any type of vegetables you desire.
- 500 gr spinach/ugwu/ green amaranth, etc
- Onion (1 small bulb, chopped)
- Vegetable oil (1 spoon)
- 1 tablespoon ground Crayfish(optional)
- 1 Stock cube
- Dried or fresh hot pepper, to taste
- Salt to taste
- Wash and dry the vegetable of choice: press the vegetables between clean
kitchen towels to dry them thoroughly.
Tip: if the vegetable is wet, it will heat up and become soggy.
- Slice the vegetables and set aside .
- Now heat up the oil in a saucepan until very hot; add the chopped onions, peppers and ground crayfish.
Tip: the crayfish gives it a delicious and distinct taste, but you can omit it if you want to.
- Stir-fry for about 10 seconds.
- Pour in the sliced vegetables, crush in the stock cube and stir-fry for 1 minute until the vegetable just starts to soften or wilt.
- Add salt to taste and continue stir-frying for another one minute. Then serve immediately and enjoy.
Your Beans and Potato Porridge with Stir-fried vegetables is ready to be served. You can enjoy with fish like salmon or even with lean meat. These also provide essential nutrients needed during pregnancy. Remember to drink a lot of water too.
Also check out How to Make Etikeni Mmong Ikong an Iron rich recipe.