Our recipe this week is Chicken yam porridge. A delicious simple meal to prepare this weekend in your home. Though a relatively common food it is not the easiest dish to make if you have never tried it before. It is a delicious yam recipe that is eaten in most parts of the country; but mostly in the Yoruba tribes where it is referred to as ‘Asaro’. We are sharing the recipe here for you to confidently try it at home and enjoy with your love ones. Read: Difference between Porridge and Pottage
- A tuber of yam (peel and slice to serve-able sizes).
- Half cup of ground crayfish
- Two cube of seasoning cubes
- 5cl of palm oil.
- 15 pieces of ripe tomatoes
- Two bulb of onions
- Half Kg of Chicken
- Peel off the bark of the yam, slice into cube sizes, wash and set aside.
- Slice or grind the tomatoes, fresh pepper and a cup of crayfish.
- Parboil the chicken for about fifteen minutes and allow to simmer. Debone the chicken
- Pour about a teaspoon of palm oil into a cooking pot and allow to heat
- Fry the ground tomatoes/pepper for 5 – 10 minutes, add water and then transfer the yam into the pot
- Make sure to partially submerge the yam pieces in water (not fully submerged)
- Add the chicken, crayfish, a cube of Maggi and salt, allow to cook for the next ten to fifteen minutes
- You can pierce the yam with a cooking fork to know if the yam is soft enough for consumption.
See other recipes HERE