Mums i am tempted to say “breakfast is ready” but you can indulge this for brunch or lunch, and you won’t go wrong by having it with slices of fruit! This Jamaican staple is waiting to kick off oatmeal from your family breakfast menu. Serve piping hot!
3 cups coconut milk
1 pc cinnamon stick
1 cup corn meal
2 cups water
1 tsp nutmeg powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
8 tbsp condensed milk
- In a heavy large saucepan, bring to boil the water, 2 cups of coconut milk and ½ stick cinnamon stick.
- Gradually whisk in the cornmeal a little at a time until there is none left. And continue the stir the mixture to prevent lumps.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Stir in the condensed milk, vanilla essence, and ½ teaspoon of nutmeg. Add the salt to taste.
- Adjust consistency with the remaining coconut milk and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with a pinch of nutmeg and brown sugar if desired.