Hi Mums, our recipe of the week is Akara Fish Tempura. It’s a pleasing, easy to cook substitute for our familiar Akara (Bean cake).
Akara is a popular Nigerian snack made with beans, also known as bean cakes, bean-balls or bean fritas, however, this recipe is infused with eggs and fish fillet. You can always improve on the recipe by making it spicy or using shrimp as suggested. See the recipe below
- 3/4 cup Beans Flour
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 White Fish Fillet
- A handful of Chopped Onions
- Seasoning Cube
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1/2 cup of water
1. Wash your fish and cut into small squares, season with half a seasoning cube and black pepper and set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix the beans flour, onions, chilli powder, egg, half a seasoning cube and water till a batter is formed that is between runny and thick.
3. Heat up your oil for deep frying.
4. Place your fish squares in the mix and with a spoon scoop the fish with a bit of the mixture and deep fry for 3-5 minutes on medium heat till brown.
5. Serve hot with a spicy sauce.