Our recipe of the week is Beniseed soup. Beniseed soup also known as sesame seed soup is a soup that is common in some parts of the south south or middle belt parts of Nigeria.
Sesame seeds are very nutritious. They contain vitamins, minerals and natural oils that aid in blood pressure management, bone health, diabetes management, skin and hair health and a host of other benefits. It is important to note that sesame seeds in large amounts may cause stomach irritation so be watchful of the amount you consume.
Beniseed soup is very reminiscent of Nigerian Egusi Soup in the way it is prepared. If you want to prepare it in the very traditional way, once the meats are cooked, add your oil, then your blended sesame seeds before finally adding your vegetables. Notwithstanding, you can use this recipe by Afrolems.
- A Cup of Sesame Seeds
- 1 cup of blended red bell pepper, tomato and scotch bonnet pepper mix.
- One large bulb of Onion
- 7 pieces of Beef
- 5 Pieces of Kpomo (Cow Skin)
- 1/2 cup of Crayfish pieces
- Seasoning cubes
- 1 tablespoon of Crayfish powder
- A handful of chopped Bitter leaves
- 1 handful of chopped scent leaves
- 2 cooking spoons of Palm Oil
1. Wash, season and boil your meats and set aside.
2. Pour your sesame seeds into a pot and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
3. Blend the sesame seeds till a powder texture is achieved.
4. In a separate pot, heat up the palm oil, fry your chopped onions and tomato-pepper mix.
5. Add your seasoning and crayfish powder and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
6. To the sauce, add your meats and crayfish pieces and stir.
7. Pour in your blended sesame seeds and stir into the sauce.
8. Finally, add in your chopped bitter leaves and scent leaves.
9. Serve your beniseed soup with any swallow of your choice.
You can download the LagisMums Family Meal Timetable here