It takes a team to get most things done and it is no different when it comes to the management and running of your home. Most homes, especially dual income homes need the assistance of domestic staff in some capacity; nanny, drivers, cooks etc. There is a right way to hire domestic staff to ensure you get the best out of it. Here we are going to spell out the right way to hire domestic staff in Nigeria and share some resources that exist to help. Always do your own due diligence.
The Right Way to Hire Domestic Staff
There is a high price to pay for hiring the wrong staff! Just as a Company would not hire staff without carefully interviewing and doing background checks; in the same way, you need to be thorough and careful when hiring a nanny or other domestic staff.
The right way to hire domestic staff includes using a reputable source of referral. There are many ways to get domestic staff which include word of mouth referrals from your friends’ nanny or your cousins’ driver. While this could be a credible source, you need to be sure the source is reputable and trustworthy. An alternative way to find candidates is to go through a reputable nanny agency, but be sure to take the time to understand how they find their candidates.
Background checks are important and it is advisable that this is carried out by someone who has experience. This should include address verification, guarantor check and past employment verification. Most good agencies will provide this service and ensure a background check has been completed for the candidate.
- Icarella Childcare Services offers the service of assessment and background check whether or not Icarella provided your nanny. I have personally used this service and they carry out very professional assessments of the potential hire, including background check (with address verification) and medical.
Health screening should be considered a necessary step prior to hiring new domestic staff. No this is not discrimination, odds are when you are starting a new office job you are required to undergo a physical examination right? There are several labs and clinics that would carry out a basic health check in Lagos. Carrying out this check verifies the state of health of the staff, especially when they will be caring for young children.
Interview your potential nanny or other staff. Be clear what the job description entails and discuss this in the interview process. Are you looking for someone to entertain older children but she has experience with babies? Everyone has different skills and experience. Take the time to interview who you are considering.
It is best not to interview when you are stressed or in a rush to hire a new staff. We have all been there, but if you hire in a rush you are less likely to properly assess the suitability of the staff (do not hire out of desperation). It might also be useful to have someone else interview for you to get a different opinion but remember people want different things.
These are some of our tips on the right way to hire domestic staff and to avoid making the wrong choice. [Read: 9 key tips on how to treat your nanny]
Some sources to help with hiring domestic staff in Nigeria
- Icarella Childcare Services – Visit their website for more details. Services include health status verification, background checks, purpose and personality assessment, training and provision of uniforms.
- Brookside Medical Practice – Offers domestic staff health screening package. Visit their website for more details or call +2348179795565. The clinic is located in Dolphin Ikoyi.
- VerifyMeNigeria – Collects biodata information to verify identities. Read more here about the service they provide and visit their website for more information.
- Nanny Academy – The Nanny Academy offers professional caregiver programs and Nanny employment/placement service. Visit their website for more.