A Scholarship Program For Secondary School Students in Africa
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program; designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education; and who wish to make meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive guidance on university admissions and career path options; also, join a network of young leaders from across Africa. Following the seven-day program; students will pair with mentors who will advise them throughout the university application process. Also, there is no tuition cost for students to participate in YYAS.
To keep everyone safe during the global pandemic, YYAS 2021 will be an online program. Therefore, YYAS will be hosting a seven-day virtual session using various digital platforms from 25th July to 31st July 2021*. Relevant program information will be communicated directly to admitted students via email.
Yale Young African Scholars is an official program of Yale University.
*Program dates are subject to change. Alternative dates are 1st August to 7th August 2021. However, a final decision will be made before offers of admission are sent to students.
The Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) program is a proud member of the HALI Access Network and also enjoys support from The Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies at Yale and Higherlife Foundation. YYAS was modeled off its sister program, Yale Young Global Scholars, and continues to operate under its umbrella.
In order to be eligible to apply for the scholarship, applicants must:
- Age: You must be at least 14 years old by application deadline (16 February 2021) for consideration. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- English: You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum, conduct in English.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. Yale Young African Scholars will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- School location: You must currently attend school in an African country.
- Grade Level: You must be a current 11th grade student (or the international equivalent).
- Graduation date: If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by latest May/June 2022. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2021; and no later than November/December 2022.
If you are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
The following list describes the typical YYAS requirements; although the most up-to-date and accurate information is always in the application.
How to Apply