Our recipe of the week is Chicken Pepper Soup With Plantain.
We’re in that time of the year where the weather is cold and the chill of the cold seeps through your clothes into your soul(body). What you eat will help keep you warm at this period.
Chicken pepper soup is a very tasty delicacy and when combined with unripe plantain and yam, you have an irresistible meal for the family. It is very popular side dish. Here is the recipe. Enjoy!
- Full chicken
- Yam tuber
- Slightly ripe plantain (or unripe)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Minced ginger and garlic
- Scotch Bonnet, thinly sliced OR hot ground pepper
- Pepper soup spice/seasoning
- Dry or Fresh mint leaves
- Seasoning cubes (Maggi or Knorr)
- Salt to taste
- Peel, wash and slice the yam into bite chunks. Then peel and slice the plantain into 3 or 4 pieces. Set the yam and plantain aside.
- Wash and chop the chicken. Add the onion, ginger, garlic, seasoning cubes and salt to taste. Place on low heat and leave to simmer for 10 minutes to allow the meat to release its natural flavours.
- Add plantain and yam. Then add, pepper and pepper soup seasoning. Stir all nice, and allow to cook for about 20minutes or until the yam, plantain and chicken are almost soft. Make sure that the water is slightly over the contents in pot. Otherwise, add some more. Then add the mint leaves. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Then leave to cook till the chicken, yam and plantain are very tender.
Serve and enjoy hot with your favourite drink!