Hi LagosMums! Our recipe of the week is Corned Beef And Garden Egg Sauce. Giving your children garden eggs is like giving them a punishment because of the bitter taste. However, this sauce is about to “wow” you and your children.
Serve with yam, potato, rice, plantain or any food you eat with sauce.
- 5 big pieces of garden eggs or 8 small pieces
- Tomatoes, cayenne pepper [shombo] and scotch bonnet pepper [rodo] (In your preferred proportions) It should come up to 1 cup after blending roughly
- Green onion stalks, diced
- 1 Green Pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Few basil leaves (effirin), thinly sliced
- 1 knorr cube
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry and thyme
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small ginger root, minced
- 200gm tin of corned beef (you can substitute with diced beef)
- 1 cooking spoon oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- Wash and cut the garden eggs into chunks. Add 1/3 of the sliced onions and the half teaspoon of salt. Add water to cover then boil till very soft and almost dry. Mash in the water with a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, add the vegetable oil. Add garlic and ginger, and the remaining onions. Stir fry till soft and fragrant.
- Add the blended pepper mix and stir fry till the raw taste is gone; also add the curry, thyme, Maggi and stir.
- Add the corned beef (or diced beef), and use your cooking spoon to break up the chunks
- Add the green pepper and stir in
- Stir fry for a minute then pour in the mashed garden egg. Stir and let cook for a couple of minutes
- Pour in the chopped green onion stalks and scent leaves
- At this point, if the sauce is thick, add water little by little
- Stir in and let cook for an extra minute. And it’s all done!