Turmeric rice is our recipe for this week is. This is an easy to prepare meal that is great for a family weekend. Tired of Jollof and Fried rice all the time? If yes, then you don’t have to worry. Turmeric rice is now here for you. Turmeric which is peppery, warm and has a somewhat bitter taste gives this meal a distinct yellow color. The sight of this Turmeric rice dish is nothing but mouth-watering.
- 2 cups rice
- Onions (1 pcs)
- Paprika (1 tsp)
- White pepper (1 tsp)
- Garlic (2 pcs)
- Turmeric powder (2 tsp)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cup water
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup peas
- Chop the onions and mince the garlic. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a sauce pan placed over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, paprika, 1½ teaspoons of turmeric, ½ teaspoon of white pepper and sauté for about a minute.
- Pour in the rice (washed) and stir continuously for about 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, water and salt to taste then allow to simmer for about 12 minutes or until almost cooked.
- While the rice is cooking, rinse and drain the peas.
- Pour the peas in when the rice is almost cooked and adjust seasoning.
- Allow to simmer for few minutes or until rice is cooked.
Your turmeric rice is ready and can be served with a sauce of choice or with whatever side dish you choose.
Enjoy and have a good weekend!
Photo Credit: Africanbites
See also How to Make Coconut Curry Sauce