Compliments of the festive season Mums!! Our recipe of the week is Vegan Jollof Rice! From My Diaspora Kitchen, Yes Vegan… Because we think you should take a break from all the Chicken, Turkey and the Assorted meat consumed during Christmas and enjoy your favorite Nigerian Jollof in a very healthy way today.
This Vegan Jollof Rice will definitely blow your mind. You won’t believe it’s not the original. Guess what? It’s one of the easiest and most delicious Jollof recipe! Yum!!!
- 2 1/2 cups Parboiled long grain rice washed thoroughly and drained completely
- 2 Tbsp Tomato paste diluted with 1/4 cup of water
- 1 Large onion chopped
- 3 sprigs of spring onions chopped
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup cooking oil of choice
- salt/ vegetable bouillon to taste
- curry powder
- Dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon of Rosemary
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
(This measurements is for a serving of 4)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF /180ºC
- Heat up oil in a 10/12 in cast iron skillet, sauté onions and garlic till onions is translucent.
- Stir in the diluted tomato paste add the bouillon powder or cubes, curry, thyme, rosemary and ground ginger then stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir fry for another 2 minutes to get the flavors in.
- Pour the vegetable stock into the skillet. Stir, taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. It should taste slightly salty. Don’t worry the rice will absorb the salt when cooked and the flavors will balance out.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Transfer to the lower rack of oven and bake for 45 mins or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Allow to stand in oven for another 5 mins, then bring out, sprinkle the chopped spring onions then use a fork and fluff the rice.
- Serve and enjoy your delicious Jollof Rice in a very healthy way!!
What to eat with Vegan Jollof Rice
— Fried Plantains
— Grilled Tofu
— Vegan Meatballs
— Chopped Banana
— A side of veggie salad