Hi Mums! Our recipe of the week is Coconut chicken soup and it is just perfect for this cold weather. It is an excellent healthy recipe as it contains ginger, lemon grass and coconut milk. We recently did a recipe on how to make Chicken pepper soup with plantain. Also, we have different recipes for soups, stews and sauces on the LagosMums website.
It is important that you infuse a lot of hot and spicy recipes into your diet during this cold weather. Soups will not only warm you up from the inside, they will also help to replace body fluids that we may have lost due to cold and catarrh.
- 500g Chicken thigh (cut into bits)
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bottom half only chopped
- 3 tbsps of ginger chopped
- 4-5 lime leaves, torn into large chunks
- 3-4 bell chillies, cut into large pieces
- Ground Pepper (optional)
- 150g mushrooms
- 2-3 tbsps lime juice
- 2 cups cold water
1. Wash your chicken and place it in a small pot.
2. Add one stock cube (Maggi), salt and ginger with a little quantity of water. Bring the meat to boil for about five minutes before adding the remaining water; cook until chicken is tender.
3. Put in a bit of pepper if the ginger is not hot enough.
4. Add lemon grass, ginger, chillies, mushrooms, lime leaves and coconut milk. Leave to simmer for 3-5 minutes until mushroom is cooked. Add some more salt if desired.
5. Turn off the heat and add the lime juice.
6. Note that the lime leaves and lemon grass are not to be eaten so take them off before serving or remember to instruct your guests properly.
6. Serve hot!
You can eat it alone or have it with rice, bread or dinner rolls.
Source: The Guardian