Our recipe of the week is Stir-fried Green Veggies with Beans and Corn Porridge. This is a delicious way to eat your beans and get your fiber without sacrificing taste and flavor.
And for extra richness and nourishment, it is served with some stir-fried greens. This meal combo was courtesy of dietician (Dr.Daisy), who has been helping a lot of people live a healthier and happier life.
Although it is traditionally prepared with fresh corn, it can be prepared with the canned sweet corn. (If using canned food, please ensure it is BPA-free)
Recipe: How to make Ofada rice and Sauce
Ingredients for Beans & Corn Porridge
- 300 g red beans /black eyed beans/brown beans
- 250 g sweet corn(either canned or raw from the cob)
- 1 medium onion bulb, chopped
- 2 tablespoonful ground crayfish
- 2 cooking spoonful red palm oil/red stew oil
- 1 stock cube
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
**Below is an an easy to follow video recipe on how to prepare Beans&corn Porridge**
Ingredients for the stir-fried Green Vegetables
- 500 gr spinach/ugwu/ green amaranth(I used a mixture of 2 veggies)
- Small Onion bulb, chopped
- 1 vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ground Crayfish(optional)
- Stock cube to taste
- Salt to taste
- Dried or fresh hot pepper, to taste
To prepare the Stir-fried Green Vegetables
1. Wash and dry the vegetable of choice: press the vegetables between clean
kitchen towels to dry them thoroughly. Tip: if the vegetable is wet, it will heat up and
2. Slice the vegetables and set aside .
3. Now heat up the oil in a saucepan until very hot; add the chopped onions,
peppers and ground crayfish(if using). Stir-fry for about 10 seconds.
Tip: the crayfish gives it a delicious and distinct taste, but you can
omit it if you want to.
4. Pour in the sliced vegetables, crush in the stock cube and stir-fry for 1
minute until the vegetable just starts to soften or wilt.
5. Add salt to taste and continue stir-frying for another one minute. Then serve immediately and enjoy.
Food For Thought:
Do you know that cooked sweet corn increases the level of ferulic acid in our bodies , which helps us to prevent cancers? Vegetables are rich in many vitamins and minerals that can help keep your immune system strong to fight off cancer cells.
Also, Beans are among the best sources of fiber. Fiber helps keep your bowels moving and that means toxins that are linked to cancer are eliminated from your body faster than with low fiber diets.
This recipe is delicious and healthy as well. Enjoy!
Source: Nigerian Food TV