Hi Mums, our recipe of the week is Ethiopian plantain and beef stew. This Ethiopian dish is ideal because it has accessible ingredients that we can get around us and it is just perfect for this weather. Unripe plantain is typically used for this dish but if you would like to go the semi-ripe route for plantains, that would work as well.
- 2 fingers of Unripe Plantains
- 10 medium Pieces of Beef
- A cup of roughly Blended Tomato and pepper mix
- 1 medium Bulb of Onion
- 2 tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup of Coconut Milk
- Seasoning cubes
- 1 teaspoon of Chili powder
1. To a pot of boiling water, add your peeled unripe plantain and bring to a boil till almost soft. This could take about 8-10 minutes.
2. In a separate pot, season and bring your meat to a boil till it is soft.
3. Heat up another pot then add the oil and stir fry the chopped onions.
4. Pour in the tomato and pepper, seasoning cubes, chili powder and stir fry. ( You can roughly blend your tomato and pepper or you can just slice yours and add it.)
5. Finally, pour in the coconut milk, plantain and beef and allow to simmer for about 10-15 minutes on low heat.
6. Serve your Ethiopian plantain and beef stew hot!